As you know, effective communication is one of the many ways to promote comprehensive health care. emPOLST is one of the many electronic tools at your disposal to ensure you can provide patients with the care they wish to receive as well as to enhance interoperability.
What is emPOLST?
emPOLST is a statewide central repository for POLST, or Practitioners Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment, a healthcare planning tool that empowers individuals to work closely with their medical team to detail their goals for end-of-life care. This includes medical preferences when facing a serious illness. It is now being introduced statewide to help patients and families with end-of-life planning.
What are the benefits of emPOLST?
emPOLST has many clinical benefits, including:
- Improved communication of patients’ goals of care by creating and sharing POLST forms electronically among caregivers and providers
- Added documentation efficiencies in creating POLST using auto-filled demographics
- The ability to easily integrate with a patient’s current medical record
- Easily accessible via the web or mobile device
How can you get started with emPOLST?
Onboarding is simple – an NJII onboarding coordinator will assist you throughout the onboarding process. The emPOLST onboarding process consists of four steps:
- Sign Use Case and NJHA agreement
- NJII provides training
- NJII enables interface
- Start managing POLST forms online
The process can be completed in 2 to 3 weeks.
How much does emPOLST cost?
Connecting to emPOLST is currently free for eligible facilities. For those that are already integrated with the NJHIN, no new interface work is needed, meaning signup and onboarding is a seamless process.
If you are ready to learn more or get started, contact our team today for more information or to begin onboarding.