Transform. Revitalize. Grow.
Creative Placemaking has emerged in the last decade as a critical tool to transform neighborhoods, cities, and communities through the revitalization of arts and culture. Community planners, real estate developers, residents and businesses are embracing creative placemaking to help revitalize local economies, stabilize neighborhoods, promote businesses and provide jobs. Develop the skills to initiate, collaborate and contribute to community renewal as a Certified Creative Placemaker.
Learn how to be the catalyst that integrates arts and culture with community and economic development. Acquire the skills to identify location-based creative assets as well as define, design and relate the story of creative places. Explore the use of the arts, economic development, urban and rural planning and community development as agents of change for a sustainable community. Learn to identify and effectively communicate with community leaders and stakeholders necessary to effectuate smart growth within a community.
Time: Mondays and Thursdays 6:00 - 9:00 pm, Total of 90 hours
Dates: 8/30/2021 - 12/17/2021
Format: Live, online, instructor-led classes
Skill Level: All levels
Type: General Knowledge
Who Should Participate?
Civic leaders, planners, community and economic development professionals and artists can acquire the skills and practices to shape the character of a community through the infusion of arts and culture. The Certified Creative Placemaker Certificate is designed for those who choose to be a leading agent of change in a community.
- Develop strategies for infusing arts and culture into community and economic development planning.
- Build and direct effective leadership teams.
- Conduct asset assessments.
- Apply concepts and develop problem-solving strategies from case studies.
- Understand sector-specific vocabulary and establish cross-sector communication.
- Demonstrate inclusive and sustainable community visioning and planning.
- Develop implementation strategies.
- Materials Included.
- 90 Professional Development Hours/9.0 Continuing Education Units from NJIT.
Course 1: Creative Placemaking Process
- Core Concepts and Case Studies
- Identification of Stakeholders for Sustainable Communities
- Team Mission and Introductory Community Visioning
- Creative Assets Inventories
- Analysis of Issues and Opportunities
- Making the CASE for the Creative Placemaking approach to Community planning
- Working Across Sectors
- Working with Stakeholders
- Utilizing Assets to Address Issues and Opportunities
- The Planning Process
- Creative Placemaking Plan
- Funding and Policies
- Getting the Message Out
Course 2: Creative Placemaking Principles and Practice
- Building the Case for Creative Placemaking
- Community Engagement
- Real Estate/Housing-Residential
- Commercial Real Estate
- Local Regenerating and Partners
- Social Equity
- Focus on Trauma-Informed Placemaking
- Connections between Urban, Rural, Suburban Communities
- Sustainable Growth, Development and Community Engagement
- Public Art
- Importance of Design
- Evaluating the Impact
- Technology Resources for Community/ Economic Development
Course 3: Practical Application of Creative
- Community-Engaged Field Practicum
Get In Touch
If you have a question or need more information please use the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you shortly.